[Qgis-user] New user

Stephen Wandling swandling at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 10:15:11 PST 2017

Nicolas,

I got back into using GIS software after deciding I wanted to become
proficient in navigating BC's rain-forests with only map and compass.  I
purchased 3 1:20000 maps from a local outlet and was surprised to find a
major creek was missing on one of them.

 From this I learned that BC eliminated all of it's cartographers in
about 1992.  A firm in Victoria took over plotting the provincial data
for sale.  But, this firm was only a printing company and no revisions
were made.

I live on the Sunshine Coast, and I know that the maps I purchased are
missing hundreds of kilometers of trails that cover the entire coast.

It was only last night that I finally figured out how to get 1:50000
data from geogratis.  From this I will make maps that cover the areas of
the old 1:20000 provincial maps.  I think they will serve my needs.

Thanks for all the info on sites I might use for data.

Stephen