[Qgis-user] Terrain Ruggedness Index Calculation

Falk Huettmann fhuettmann at alaska.edu
Mon Jul 24 08:51:06 PDT 2017

Hi there,

very good question indeed.

I have no direct answer but three more points to add:

-in virtually any GIS and software computations, SLOPE, ASPECT, IDW,
KRIGGING etc.
 one will find such type of questions, and many answers and solutions. None
of them are
 very clear and often not precise. Home range and Kernel computations are
notorious for that.

-there is quite a mis-match with reality, and wrong perceptions, when it
comes to such metrics,
 tools, layers and GIS data.

-this does not only affect inference, but many management and real-world
questions indeed, science, education,
 certifications and publications included.

Overall, for a good software, these items are essential to have right and
well documented;
the more the better. One wonders what the metadata really are for those
metrics ?

Happy to learn more, thanks.

Kindly

   Falk Huettmann PhD, Associate Professor