[Qgis-user] [QGIS-Developer] QGIS Meeting #20 : 21-25 February 2018, Madeira

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Wed Nov 1 11:47:33 PDT 2017

Hi Vincent

Thanks for your comments. Inline replies below:

> On 01 Nov 2017, at 12:37, Vincent Picavet (ml) <vincent.ml at oslandia.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Thanks for organizing this community meeting !
>
> I would like to stress a few points.
>
> First, would it be possible to publish the details of the program as
> soon as possible ? 21th to 25th of February means 5 full days. It is not
> possible for most developers to attend this whole period. In order to be
> able to anticipate for plane tickets and all, having the program would
> allow to focus on the most adapted days for each of us.

This will be a hackfest not a conference so I would think we follow tradition and keep formal programming to a minimum and rather provide a shared space and time that we can be in the same venue and timezone to collaborate and work together. So from that perspective it will probably be good if you identify those people that you are hoping to collaborate during the event and try to coordinate that the times overlap.

I think having one afternoon or morning could be set aside for scheduled time limited presentations (please start a section in the wiki if you are interested in presenting something) and then we should expect the rest of the time to be fairly ad-hoc.

We have a longer than usual 5 days because some people expressed interest in maximising the longer than usual travel distances. I expect the ‘core’ time when most participants are there will be the 22, 23 and 24 with people arriving and leaving on the 21st and 25.

> Second, I think we should be more careful on the dates for the community
> meetings. It is the third time in a row that QGIS developer meeting
> takes place during school holidays ( in France and other European
> countries at least).
> I know that finding dates for such a (big) event is very difficult, and
> depends on a lot of external parameters. Holidays especially can be
> different for different countries. But a quick check may be useful to
> allow for more people to come without them having to cancel holidays
> with their families.

Yes you are right there are a lot of other considerations - in particular the availability of the venue and accommodation is the main driver (which is generally donated). In fact this makes holidays more optimal often because we can access university facilities or other venues that might otherwise be occupied in non-holiday times.

> Note that this was particularly true for the event organized on May 1st,
> which is a mandatory day off in most countries in the world.
>
> In the same spirit, please have the codesprint where you want developers
> to attend on week days and not during the weekend. QGIS developers are
> paid professionals, and working on weekend is an exception which should
> be reduced to the minimum.
>
> This points are probably worth discussing, and I hope we will have this
> opportunity in Madeira.

Sure we can discuss it in Madeira. I don’t think it is an easy problem to solve with so many objectives.

Regards

> Greetings,
> Vincent
>

> On 29/10/2017 23:08, Tim Sutton wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> We have a confirmed venue for the next QGIS get together - it is in
>> Madeira from the 20-25 February 2018. If you plan on attending please
>> head over to the wiki page and register your intention to be there:
>>
>> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/wiki/DeveloperMeetingMadeira2018
>>
>> Please also note that this time we are going to try to be a little more
>> organised for helping newcomers, so I have added sections to the wiki
>> page for ‘Mentor streams’ - I have nominally added 4 streams but if you
>> would like to host more please add a new section to the wiki page. If
>> you are interested in attending one of the streams, please add your name
>> to the appropriate section.
>>
>> Lene will no doubt provide you with more details (via the wiki)  as we
>> get closer to the event as will Duarte and Sara (our local organisers in
>> Madeira).
>>
>> Another important thing to note is that the cost of attending will be
>> higher than usual given the more removed location and that we do not
>> have very cheap accommodation available. If you intend on requesting
>> travel assistance for the event, please fill out our new form
>> <https://goo.gl/forms/YKm5fo7ll5GfQEJI3 <https://goo.gl/forms/YKm5fo7ll5GfQEJI3>> as soon as possible. Also be
>> aware that funds are limited so we may not be able to cover everyone’s
>> costs or all costs completely - applications will be taken on merit with
>> priority given to active contributors to the QGIS project.
>>
>> Looking forward to seeing you all in Madeira!
>>
>> Regards
>>

>> ---
>>
>> *Tim Sutton*
>> QGIS Project Steering Committee Chair