[Qgis-user] Instant Qgis 3 crash on the zoom icon

Mats Elfström mats.elfstrom at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 10:49:32 PDT 2018

Hi!

My question is: Can somebody point out a working setup for a Qgis Linux
cloud server? I terms of Linux distribution, Qgis version, mode for remote
access and so on. Life is too short to test more variables.

For the last couple of weeks, I have explored the world of virtual cloud
Linux servers and Qgis. A painstaking endeavor, I might add. My goal is to
set up a stable Qgis server instance, with QGIS 3 on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic. I
want to run QGIS desktop on the same server for map design and have remote
desktop (VNC or RDP) access from a Windows machine. The server shall also
run a current Postgresql/Postgis instance.

 I have tried Google cloud instances, Amazon EC2 and Microsoft Azure but
these fell through because of clunky admin interfaces and bad remote
access. I did not even get so far as to install Qgis on them. The most
successful attempt so far is on City Cloud, a Swedish cloud provider.

After hours of trial and error, and several machines scrapped along the
way, I managed to get the above setup up and running, serving a couple of
live wms services. Then, for no reason, Qgis desktop fell out of the game.
It crashes invariably and instantly when touching the zoom in/zoom-out
icons (key shortcuts as well). No trace, no error message, just vaporware.
And I mean that I just click the icon, I do not even get a chance to hit
the canvas before it dies. Oddly enough, it worked initially for a few
days. No point in filing a bug for this, as no one will be able to
reproduce my setup. There is no remotely close bug report, either. I have a
hunch that the problem comes from the gui system, the vnc server or both.
That is why I need advice on a stable working setup.

Regards, Mats.E
Mats Elfström, Väpplingvägen 21, SE-227 38 LUND, Sweden
tel: +46 46 145959 / mob: +46 70 595 39 35
alt e-mail: mats.elfstrom at giskraft.com <mats.elfstrom at telia.com>