[Qgis-user] Opening dxf files for 3D

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Sat Aug 25 23:22:58 PDT 2018

Hi Grant,

Are you able to share one of these dxf files containing 3d data?

Note that there are two methods to load DXF in QGIS:

1. drag and drop: uses OGR to load the data - not very good at keeping
symbology

2. Menu "Project" --> "Import/Export" --> "Import Layer from DXF/DWG".
This method uses another library called libdxfrw and imports the DXF/DWG
into a new geopackage file. After that import you are not using the
DWF/DXF anymore but view the data directly from the Geopackage. This
method is much better if you want to keep symbology. It converts blocks
to SVG and does a better job keeping labels than the first method.

Now about keeping 3D information: I am sure that version 1 keeps
z-information. I just tested it and if you use the "Info-tool" you get
3d information in the derived attributes.

I am not sure about the second method. The 3D file I had a hand did not
load with the second method in my case.

Note: until recently, QGIS did not correctly render 3D polylines. Only
3D polygons and multipatch geometries. So if you really want to render
3d linestrings, you need a very recent master for testing.

Hope this information helps - if you could share one of your files, this
would be great.

Andreas