[Qgis-user] On-the-Fly Projections Versus Manual Re-projections

Fernando M. Roxo da Motta petro at roxo.org
Thu Nov 1 12:58:44 PDT 2018

Em qui, 2018-11-01 às 13:02 -0400, Aj Hollenbach escreveu:
> Hi QGIS Community,
>
> I have what I believe may be a fairly straight-forward question on
> coordinate reference systems and projections in QGIS. I am currently
> working on some maps in the southern Philippines and thus have set my
> "project-level" coordinate reference system (CRS) to EPSG 3125. I have
> noticed, however, that when I open a vector file or raster file that is
> loaded into this project, the CRS still reads as EPSG 4326. Thus, my
> question is whether it is necessary to "manually" go in and change the
> EPSG of each new layer to EPSG 3125 (i.e. use the Warp Tool for a raster
> file or the "Reproject Layer" tool for a vector file), or if there is
> any issue with leaving them as EPSG 4326. I note that I am not having
> any issues "seeing" the newly added files--meaning the "on-the-fly"
> projection seems to be working fine. Appreciate any insights that you
> might have.

  Well, Nicolas gave you an answer tha may apply to your case.

  By the the side, it seems that Qgis3 does on the fly re-projection
automagically, it seems that there is no way to turn this off.  Even so,
when you look to layer properties it will state what thw original
projection was.   That is, if your layer was produced in EPSG 4326 and is
loaded in a EPSG 3125 project, Qgis3 will re-project it to the project
reference system, but keep informing you the original projection of the
layer.

  In this case you most probably will have to do nothing.

  HTH.