[Qgis-user] GDAL and https links on qgis

Guy Doulberg guyd at satellogic.com
Mon Oct 29 03:36:58 PDT 2018

Hi

I am working on a project that releases big raster imagery,

I am trying to create a product that can be used in qgis.

The product I had in mind is a raster (VRT) served from the an https
endpoint referred by local vrt file

I think the issue is relevant to anyone using "/vsicurl/https://..."
rasters or even vectors not only vrt.

I tested this product on my 3.4 and 2.18 qgis on linux and it worked with
no problem

But then I tested in on qgis 2.18 and 3.4 on Windows and it turned out
there were the following failures:

SSL certificate problem: unable to get local issuer certificate

It can be fixed by setting CURL_CA_BUNDLE to a certificate bundle either I
downloaded from Mozilla site or from the OS itself.

Can you think of A more elegant solution? I don't like the idea that I will
need to tell my users to hassle with these settings

And I don't like the idea of using http, to the data of those products.

Maybe that is more a request for the qgis-dev mailing list, but is there a
way to compile qgis with gdal that already has all the certificates
authorities?

Thanks, Guy