[Qgis-user] point pattern analysis in West Africa

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Mon Sep 17 20:42:22 PDT 2018

Hi,

It would help to know if you are on QGIS 2x or 3x as things are a bit
different.  I believe distances in QGIS 2 depends on the project CRS and
are not ellipsoidal. The distances in QGis 3 are ellipsoidal
calculations reprojected from the project CRS to the WGS84 ellipsoid.
Differences you are observing are probably caused by a degree being
interpreted as a meter or the other way around.

In QGIS 3x make sure all your files are in WGS84 UTM31N and are well
loaded in that CRS (Change Settings/Options/CRS/CRS for new layers to
Prompt for CRS).  Right click on the layers in the layers tab and look
at the CRS in the properties (under information in 3x or General in 2x).
   Make sure you project is also in WGS84 UTM31N. Make sure the grid you
are creating in MMQGIS is also in that CRS. (This is to make sure that
everything is in metre and not in Long/lat.).

In the Measuring tool,  select the correct unit (if you select map units
and you are in Long/lat, you will have a distance in degrees and not
meters.  You can also click on "configuration" in the measuring tool to
configure your preferred distance units (or settings/Options/Map Tools).

If you can't figure it out, I can trouble shoot your files if you send
them along.

Nicolas