[Qgis-user] point pattern analysis in West Africa

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Thu Sep 20 10:24:13 PDT 2018

Hi,

Thanks for sending me the files. I will respond to the mailing list so
everyone can see. This is very easy to fix. The files are in WGS84/UTM
ZONE 31N (epsg: 32631) (the unit for this is meters).  The files
_should_ be in WGS84 longitude latitude EPSG 4326.   I am working in
QGIS 2.18 for this example.

1) Start with an empty project.  Make sure it's in epsg: 32631. Load
your point file (Final modified CV locations after Akom (UTM31N).shp)
and zoom to the file extent.  Look at the Coordinates at the bottom of
the screen.  You will see values such as 6.70, 5.79.  These are
latitudes  and longitude values but you project CRS and file CRS are in
meters.  Values should be in the thousand and millions like
(-252932,449628).  Look at the file database.  You will see Longitude
and Latitude.

2) Install QuickMapServices plugin.  You will now have a Web menu.  Go
to Web>QuickMapServices>Settings>More services>Get Contributed pack.
Now load a Map Background like google earth.  This background will help
you see the error.  Your project EPSG) code will probably change to
EPSG: 3857.  Change that to 4326 (WGS84 Latitude/Longitude.)

3) Zoom to both file extents. (layer panel>zoom to layer)  You will see
that you points are in the ocean.  Unless Ghana has moved recently, this
is the wrong place for you points. (sometimes, Qgis or the plugin will
crash or send an error message when flipping to erroneous coordinates.
Don't worry.

4)You will need rewrite the file projection.  Select the point file
(Final modified CV locations after Akom (UTM31N).shp) and in the layer
panel right click to "Set layer SRC" and select EPSG 4326.  Zoom to the
layer and you will now be in Ghana.  You then need to save the file in
the correct EPSG code.  (save as).  Do NOT use gdal_warp or change the
CRS in the save menu.  This will reproject the file but keep it in the
wrong place.

5) Do this with all your files.  You can batch process this if you have
too many files.

If you want to create a grid that is exactly 100kmX100Km, you will need
to create that file in EPSG 32631 as that CRS is in meters.  If you need
to figure out your file extent, take a corrected file in EPSG 4326 and
reproject it in 32631 and use that file to find the grid extent.

Hope this helps!

Nicolas