[Qgis-user] Problems with setting network timeouts in QGIS

Lars I. Nielsen, LIFA A/S lin at LIFA.DK
Wed Dec 4 01:55:51 PST 2019

Hi Jeff.

Thanks for answering.

The timeouts I experience are associated with updates and inserts, i.e. transactions, not with initial fetching of data.

I'm only trying to ascertain, whether our observations about timeout settings not being respected are valid or not.

And yes, the timed out transaction do continue to be processed on the server (which is Geoserver btw), so it's not a server timeout issue.

Kind regards
Lars I

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: Qgis-user [mailto:qgis-user-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] På vegne af Jeff McKenna
Sendt: 28. november 2019 19:13
Til: 'QGIS Users List (qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org)'
Emne: Re: [Qgis-user] Problems with setting network timeouts in QGIS

Hi Lars,

I haven't seen your initial posts, but did you confirm that the WFS GetFeature request actually runs when you do it manually, through your browser?

A lot of times the timeout happens at the server end (and not at the client/QGIS end).  Here is a test with the MapServer engine (not sure what is driving your own WFS instance) :

For example, this will take a few minutes but will return all features in your browser:
https://demo.mapserver.org/cgi-bin/wfs?SERVICE=WFS&VERSION=1.0.0&REQUEST=getfeature&TYPENAME=continents
  That confirms there is no timeout issue on the server end.

So then I started QGIS (an old 3.8 on this machine), zoomed out to world extents and then added the 'continents' layers from that WFS service:
https://demo.mapserver.org/cgi-bin/wfs?

It took my local QGIS several minutes, or more, there was a nice progress bar, but eventually all features loaded. (I have not modified the ini file that you mentioned)

I am not sure where you see this 60second limit in QGIS.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
MapServer Consulting and Training Services https://gatewaygeomatics.com/