[Qgis-user] Splitting a self-intersecting line: Line is also split at each intersection

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Tue Feb 26 11:10:39 PST 2019

Hi all,

I just read about this problem on facebook and I couldn't believe it,
but after testing, its clear:

When you split a self-intersecting line (e.g. from a gps track) the line
is not only split at the intended spot, but at every self-intersection
as well.

Is is intended behavior of the the split tool? And if so, why?

And is there a way to not have the line split at each intersection but
only at the selected spot?

Tested with QGIS 3.4.4

(Maybe this question was asked before, but I was not that active lately)

Cheers,

Bernd