[Qgis-user] QGIS 3.4.4 still giving delays and “not responding” issues on Windows 10

David Addy davesgrandad at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 07:53:22 PST 2019

I did love using QGIS until 3.4.1 came along. Ever since I have been plagued
by the “Not responding” message and very slow start up. (See my previous
posts “QGIS 3.4.3 becoming unusable for me on Windows 10,” and “QGIS 3.4.2
still very slow to work in Windows 10”)
However, when it came to 3.4.4 it seemed at first to be back to normal
operations.
After downloading I opened it and it came up fast, just as hoped. Click
Project/Open recent/select from list, and it loads quickly with no issues. I
could open the attribute table fast as you like, and the program is
responding well.
To close it I click Project/New Project and it clears away just as it
should.
I click Project/Open recent/and select a second project from the list. Once
again everything works as it should, and cleared by Project/New Project as
before.
Thinking that everything was working fine I  repeated this procedure, and it
all worked until I want to move to a new project. This time, although I had
not amended the map, except for panning around and checking the styles etc,
when I clicked on Project/New project, I got the message Do you want to save
or discard the project.
I clicked on Discard, and QGIS seemed to pause. It was reluctant to close,
and also paused when I clicked on the X to close the whole window. This
Discard process seems to have caused all future operations to become
problematic.
After that, every time I try to use it,  it was back to taking 30 seconds to
open a new QGIS window and everything slowed right down again, with Not
responding messages.
On my next project , after the long delay in opening, I assembled my layers
and loaded them, and added a style or two. This time I closed by
Project/Save as/newname, and attempted to close the project by clicking on
the X in the top right. I then got a Crash message. All comments welcome.
<http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/file/t367907/crash30_01_19.jpg>