[Qgis-user] Experiences using QGIS + PostgreSQL/PostGIS in a multiuser environment?

Hernán De Angelis dhdeangelis at comhem.se
Wed Nov 20 03:08:00 PST 2019

Hello Andreas

Thank you very much for your comment. These are definitely things I did
not think about.

Our people are in two separate buildings (in two separate regions!) but
our systems can handle this without problems.

The editing conflicts seem more serious to me. I guess these could be
minimized by encouraging users to save edits more often but, as you
write, a proper solution may require proper versioning. But then that
may likely push up the costs.

Good material for thought and a test.

Thank you again!

Hernán

On 2019-11-20 11:40, Andreas Neumann wrote:

> Are those 15 people in the same office/same location or distributed?
> If the latter, at how many places are they distributed?
>
> In my experience, using Postgis sources over the internet (not in the
> LAN) is way too slow. It will only upset your users. In such a
> scenario you would have to set up replication.
>
> Another aspect: avoid editing the same features simultaneously by
> different users. Only the last save will stay. QGIS starts an edit
> session and will only save at the end of the sesssion, when you
> actually save the features. In such a scenario you should assign
> certain geographic areas to different users (e.g. user A edits
> features in municipality x, and user b in municipality y, but not x).
>
> Otherwise you will have to deal with handling conflicts. That would
> require more complicated table setups with versioning and conflict
> detection.
>
> Andreas
>
> On 2019-11-20 11:32, Hernán De Angelis wrote:
>
>> I am evaluating setting up a server running PostgreSQL/PostGIS for use

>>> in our experience the solution is pretty straightforward. The only other
>>> challenge I'd add is having good bandwidth, otherwise using PostGIS data
>>> can be sluggish.