[Qgis-user] ISSUE QGIS keeps freezing - QGIS Desktop 3.10.4

Bo Victor Thomsen bo.victor.thomsen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 06:20:47 PDT 2020

Hi Koos -

I had a talk with my wife Lene Fischer about your issues. (She is a
Assoc. Prof. teaching GIS at a department of the University of
Copenhagen using QGIS. I co-lecture with her on the use of spatial
enabled databases (PostgreSQL/ PostGIS)).

She hasn't experienced the issues you describe (but some other issues)

Here is some pointers:

  * Use a long-term releases and keep up with the point releases 3.10.3
    -> 3.10.4 (Which you do :-)
  * Clean the temp dir regularly (Which you did :-)
  * Check the setup of your windows pointers to user-dirs, temp space.
    Sometimes they are not suited for computers outside the university
    network (or inside, if the network sucks)
  * Check if your logon name contains special characters outside
    us-ASCII like accented character or blanks. QGIS is fine with these
    but some add-on libraries is not. The logon name can be a part of a
    path name that something chokes on.
  * Check your antivirus by temporarily disable it before using QGIS.
  * Check your disk space. The temp dir  can "grow" considerably during
    QGIS use.
  * Check the amount of memory used on your computer.  If you *are*
    using all available ram you *will* get the symptoms you describe
  * Install a minimum of plugins.
  * Keep your windows installation as clean as possible. QGIS might
    conflict with some other software installed on your computer. You
    might try to install QGIS on computer with a new clean install of
    windows. Check if the error is repeated on the new computer.
  * You might try with installing QGIS from the "network installer"
    utility instead of a stand-alone installation
    (https://download.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/osgeo4w-setup-x86_64.exe). It
    defaults to another installation directory than the stand-alone
    installation. That might help.
  * If nothing of the above works - try another version of QGIS i.e.
    3.12.1.
    The network installer  has the possibility to install a "bleeding
    edge" version of QGIS but I won't recommend using these in a
    teaching situation (or any other situation which involves
    inexperienced users). But you can use it in a testing situation

--
Med venlig hilsen / Kind regards

Bo Victor Thomsen