[Qgis-user] QGIS Server and webmapping information

Franko Naimarevic Franko.Naimarevic at ulb.ac.be
Fri Apr 10 05:03:52 PDT 2020

Hello,

I'm a final-year architecture student, and as part of my thesis, I'm
researching on how to publish a map made in QGIS on the internet, in
hopes of doing so later myself.
I've heard that the qgis2web plugin was a great option, but I've also
found that it was possible to do with QGIS Server. However, I haven't
managed to find a lot of "theoretical" explanations about it, plus, I'm
really not that familiar with this webmapping/GIS "world". So, I was
hoping someone could clarify things for me, as completely as possible.

I understand the main step is to install it on a server, obviously. But
what are the other things that have to be done in order to publish an
interactive QGIS map on the internet?

For example, I'm wondering at what point are the widgets (for
navigation, search bar, ...) defined to appear on the webpage?

Also, QGIS Server and QGIS Web Client seem to work together ; what is
their role in that relationship? Is it a necessity?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Franko