[Qgis-user] QField: adding photos, but how?

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Mon Apr 20 22:41:01 PDT 2020

Hi Carlos;

Am 20.04.20 um 22:46 schrieb Carlos Dávila:
> Hi Bernd
> If you don't need an unlimited number of pictures for each feature, as
> in the example from QField website, I think you can forget about
> relations and just add a field of type string for the number of
> pictures you need, then select "attachment" widget type and image as
> "Integrated document viewer". That way you'll have two buttons in your
> form in your mobile device, one which opens your camera to take a
> picture and other to select an already saved picture from your device
> file system.
> That's the theory, but I'm having problems to save pictures taken from
> within QField. Camera is opened and picture is taken, but when I
> return to QField, picture is not saved. It seems as if some "Accept"
> of "Confirm" action is missing. As a workaround, I take the picture
> with the camera app before adding the new feature. Then I go to
> QField, add a new feature and select that picture using the second
> button mentioned above. The only drawback of this system is that I
> then have two identical files for each picture, one in the camera
> directory and a copy of that in QField project directory.

well, if I have the chance to take multiple pictures, I would not like
to miss it.
But as I asked, would it be possible to set up sth like it is advertised
using the instructions here?
https://qfield.org/docs/project-management/add-1-n-pictures.html ?

I really would like to get it running AND make suggestions how to
improve the documentation. But as long as I do not know what is missing,
I can't propose any changes (aka vicious circle).

As there are nearly no traces to be found that QField is used this way
on the web (stackexchange, youtube, vimeo), I have the feeling that
people simply are not able to set it up with this documentation cause
vital parts are missing or not explained enough.

The next question then would be, if it really works as described, or if
there are other bugs.

But as long as none steps up to solve the first issues, we will not get
far with the others.

Cheers,

Bernd