[Qgis-user] QGIS uninstalled after GDAL PPA install

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Fri Feb 28 12:27:08 PST 2020

Hi Jimi,

On Fri, 28. Feb 2020 at 18:29:26 +0100, J. M wrote:
> I'm still not clear about what the ubuntugis PPA is needed for, or what
> gdal even is..

GDAL is what is being used to access raster and vector files.

ubuntugis provides more uptodate packages including GDAL and PRØJ.  So to use
those we normally have also qgis builds based on ubuntugis in
https://qgis.org/ubuntugis next to those for the plain ubuntu release in
https://qgis.org/ubuntu.  The former also requires adding the ubuntugis
unstable repository.

Currently we can work with GDAL2 from plain ubuntu and although we could work
with GDAL3, we cannot use GDAL 3 from ubuntugis, because we also require PRØJ
6.3.1 and ubuntugis only provides 6.2.1.

So there are no current builds for ubuntugis and therefore for bionic you
should remove all the packages you installed from https://qgis.org/ubuntugis or
the ubuntugis repo and install from https://qgis.org/ubuntu instead.

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden            https://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode