[Qgis-user] Captioning raster layers

Patrick Dunford enzedrailmaps at gmail.com
Tue May 5 21:03:32 PDT 2020

Good day

As we know, for vector layers, we can caption the layers with any field
that is stored in the data table that is incorporated into each layer.

With a raster layer, there obviously isn't an equivalent data structure
attached within the raster file itself, but within the properties
assigned to each raster layer that is incorporated into a Qgis project
are metadata fields that can be filled in and presumably this data is
stored within the project file for the layer concerned.

Given that there is this data stored then I think there is a question
that it should be possible to display any of the fields as a caption
when the raster layer is visible on the canvas and unfortunately I
cannot find any way of doing this. As I currently use various raster
layers in my projects that are from various dates I would prefer to have
some way of displaying the date associated with each layer within the
canvas and this does not appear to be possible at present with the software.