[Qgis-user] Cost effective illustrator software

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Tue May 5 21:31:56 PDT 2020

On Wed, 6 May 2020 at 00:58, Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com> wrote:

> Hi Hamish,
>
> I use Inkscape, very powerful and FOSS : https://inkscape.org/  Worth
> your investment in time to learn it, and you will never turn back.

Just to be the dissenting voice here -- although I'm a HUGE fan of
open source software and use Inkscape a LOT, it really isn't
comparable to Illustrator for heavy duty work. I'd turn to Inkscape
for quick tasks like editing/creating icons, but would never use it to
post process a complex map.

I hope one day Inkscape does reach parity with Illustrator (and I'd
actively contribute to seeing this happen, if my time wasn't more
valuable to spend contributing to QGIS)

That said, Adobe's licensing is horrible and completely out-of-sync
with the resources and needs of spatial freelancers. Thanks for the
heads-up to affinity, I'll be checking this out!

Nyall