[Qgis-user] MS SQL Server, multi users and QGIS v3+

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue May 5 23:36:58 PDT 2020

Hi Johanna,

Unfortunately I can't help you explain the gradual slow down during a
longer edit session.

But I do have experience with databases (not SQL Server but PostgreSQL)
in a network and my recommendation is to always have QGIS in the same
network than the database. Having the database in the cloud and QGIS in
the LAN of your organization with a slow network link in between will
result in bad performance due to network latency. In the long run, I
would try to either bring the database to the same LAN within your
organization to avoid network latency, or alternatively run QGIS desktop
in the same network/cloud where your database is located. There are
still functions in QGIS where certain database operations are processed
one feature at a time and network latency makes this much worse. The
developers are though trying to eliminate such feature by feature
processing in favour of processing whole batches at once, which improves
the situation with slow network connections.

If, for some reason you need the same database in two different
locations, then I would introduce two database installations local to
the respective networks and use replication in between to keep the data
in sync. This reduces the network latency issues significantly.

Andreas