[Qgis-user] advice on which CRS to use

Neil B osgeo+qgis at benneb.ca
Sun May 10 00:52:27 PDT 2020

Steve: Make sure the CSV with the Lat/Longs are set to use CRS WGS84
(EPSG:4326) or NAD83 (EPSG:4269) within your project. Your Lat/Longs are
showing up in Pennsylvania because they are using EPSG 2263 as the CRS and
the Long/Lats are being interpreted as XY's in feet. For older versions of
QGIS, to use mixed CRS's within a project, OTF (On The Fly)
Transformation has to be turned on and may not be applicable in your case
if you're using a newer version of the software. If whatever means of
it can be set after the file is loaded.

Right-click on the layer and go to Properties... (at the bottom of the
list). Click on the Source tab and set the correct CRS. If EPSG:4326 or
EPSG:4269 are not in the dropdown click on the icon just to the right and a
dialog box will open. Type either 4326 or 4269 in the filter at the top and
make your selection in the middle window. Once selected, press OK to close
the Coordinate Reference System Selector dialog box. Then click OK again to
apply and close the Layer Properties dialog box. Your points should now
show up in the correct location.

Just an FYI that 3 decimal places in Lat/Long have a precision of
approximately 350ft for your location.