[Qgis-user] advice on which CRS to use

Stephen Sacks sacks44 at earthlink.net
Sat May 9 13:13:26 PDT 2020

I'm mapping the location of trees and plants along the famous Promenade
in Brooklyn, NY.   Above a bottom layer of GoogleSatelliteHybrid, I've
drawn polygons representing 35 gardens, and then there are layers for
trees in each garden, plants, etc.  The project CRS is EPSG:2263 since
having coordinates measured in feet is very convenient because
volunteers are giving me pieces of graph paper with trees, etc. marked
in pencil;  each square on the graph paper represents one foot.  I want
to plot all that relative to the northwest corner of each garden.

    Now here's my problem.  Using my cell phone and an Android app
called Lat Long, I captured latitude and longitude at each corner.  When
I create a layer of garden corners they all appear to be in
Pennsylvania.  I know that this forum (and many web sites) are full of
hundreds of explanations of how to reconcile different CRS's.  I've read
many lengthy explanations and advice.  I'm sorry to be dumb, but I just
can't bring those corner points back to Brooklyn.  I know that along my
gardens the longitude is something like -73.993 degrees (or 985217 feet)
and latitude approximately 40.695 degrees (or 193982 feet). And the long
and lat reported by my phone is close to that.  But when I put long and
lat into QGIS (by reading delimited data from a .csv file) the long
becomes -77.519 and the lat  40.112 (about 200 miles west and slightly
south of where they should be).  The .csv file has columns labelled
"Longitude" and "Latitude" ;  the Data Source Manager >  Delimited Text
window shows that QGIS got that right. The attribute table of that layer
seems to confirm that.

     I've tried loading the corner points file and then saving it as a
shape file with crs 2263,  but it still puts those points in Pennsylvania.

      Any advice would be very welcome.  Thanks in advance for your
thoughts.

Steve