[Qgis-user] Map contest: mapping Pi for the 3.14 splash screen

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Fri May 15 06:28:46 PDT 2020

On 5/14/20 1:44 PM, Anita Graser wrote:
> Dear QGIS mappers,
>
> As you may have noticed, the next release version will be 3.14 and
> therefore, we will call it 'Pi'.
>
> Usually our versions are named for community meeting locations and the
> splash screen shows a map related to this location.
>
> For 3.14 we are looking for creative maps that capture the essence of Pi.
>
> All submissions will receive an honorable mention in the release blog post.
>
> The winner will see their map on the release splash screen and banner on
> qgis.org.
>
> To participate, please submit your maps at
> https://forms.gle/DbLL3BfvwYw33qfJ8
>
> The deadline is 31st May 2020.

There is also 'Pi Islands':

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi_Islands

Mmm, not so much to see :-)
Was hoping to see some PIE shaped islands...

https://tools.wmflabs.org/geohack/geohack.php?pagename=Pi_Islands&params=64_20_S_62_53_W_type:isle

Wow, if you go to Google Maps on that position they show you a Photo of
a Hari Das:

https://goo.gl/maps/PfFcQVW51u8xTikK7

THAT is worth a splashscreen (if he is ok...):

Pi
Pinguins
Ice/Cool
Wild...