[Qgis-user] wishing for accurate lattitude/longitude from a cell phone

j.huber at post-ist-da.de j.huber at post-ist-da.de
Sat May 23 12:45:31 PDT 2020

Hi Nicolas,

there are several potentially accurate GNSS modules available, even
sensitive choke ring antennas aren't that expensive. What's time
consuming and difficult is building a whole functioning system
(integration and software).
This would be a great university project - develop an open source GNSS
system based on relatively unexpensive components. It should be possible
to get the cost down from over a thousand to several hundred euro. This
could also be the basis for a "free" correction data service built on
private reference stations. Just dreaming...

I agree that for precision, "old school" technology is often better and
cheaper, although it requires more effort than simply pushing a button.

Regards
Jochen