[Qgis-user] wishing for accurate lattitude/longitude from a cell phone

Jésahel Benoist djes1975 at gmail.com
Sun May 24 02:53:39 PDT 2020

For years we did surveys with a customized solution with a Starfire GPS (
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarFire_(navigation_system)). It needs a
subscription for best accuracy (see
https://www.navcomtech.com/en/product/globalcorrectionservice/). It was
linked to a trimble handheld data collector like this
https://geospatial.trimble.com/products-and-solutions/geo-7x that have
another integrated GPS. Pathfinder office is a great piece of software.
I have to say that it was a bit difficult to handle all of this and needs a
lot of checking and correction to have something reliable.

I think it should be possible to use a smartphone. I did some tests with Mobile
topographer which is pretty good and can be connected to an external gps
using Bluetooth/serial/usb converters and some Android dedicated apps (like
Bluetooth gps provider). But results needs to be checked, and it takes time.

The accuracy is not all. A GPS has to be fast ! Professional GPS really are
faster.

I have to say that if I had to make large surveys again, I'd prefer to rent
a professional solution. Maybe it's not cheaper but quality and saved time
is worth the price.

Jésahel