[Qgis-user] wishing for accurate lattitude/longitude from a cell, phone

Garth Fletcher garth at jacqcad.com
Mon May 25 13:33:44 PDT 2020

Nicolas Cadieux wrote:
> ... The only way, as I see it, that GARMIN  is "privatizing the geography",
> as you nicely put it,  is by selling map to their map capable units.  It
> would be nice to have the capability of uploading our own maps to those
> units.  Apart from that, positions, waypoints   and tracks can be
> uploaded and download with propitiatory and non propitiatory software.
> I believe QGIS had a plugin capable of doing that with multiple consumer
> level GPS but I have never used it. ...

The plugin in question is:
"GarminCustomMap
  Export the current map canvas to a Garmin Custom Map (.kmz-file)
  The GarminCustomMap plugin exports the current map canvas to a .kmz-
  file, which is compatible with Garmin`s Custom Maps format for handheld
  GPS units. ..."

I used it to upload my own map with contours and property boundaries
of my region into my Garmin eTrex 20 and it worked very well.
--
Garth Fletcher