[Qgis-user] wishing for accurate lattitude/longitude from a cell, phone

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Wed May 27 10:39:44 PDT 2020

On 25.05.20 22:33, Garth Fletcher wrote:
> Nicolas Cadieux wrote:
>> ... The only way, as I see it, that GARMIN  is "privatizing the
>> geography", as you nicely put it, is by selling map to their map
>> capable units.  It would be nice to have the capability of uploading
>> our own maps to those units.  Apart from that, positions, waypoints
>> and tracks can be uploaded and download with propitiatory and non
>> propitiatory software.  I believe QGIS had a plugin capable of doing
>> that with multiple consumer level GPS but I have never used it. ...
>
> The plugin in question is:
> "GarminCustomMap
>  Export the current map canvas to a Garmin Custom Map (.kmz-file)
>  The GarminCustomMap plugin exports the current map canvas to a .kmz-
>  file, which is compatible with Garmin`s Custom Maps format for handheld
>  GPS units. ..."
>
> I used it to upload my own map with contours and property boundaries
> of my region into my Garmin eTrex 20 and it worked very well.

well, I wasted precious hours of my life trying to fumble size-limited
aerials onto those mouse-cinema-boxes.
The plugin is no solution, it's just a workaround for a perverted
business model.

I'd rather spend three times more money on any other device than ever
touching again this crap.

Working on my phone is so much more efficient. Start QGIS, load a
publicly available WMS, put in your data, generate MBTILES and dump it
on the device. If there wasn't the lousy GPS accuracy.

Cheers,
Bernd