[Qgis-user] Problem exporting to pdf

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Sun Nov 15 04:25:52 PST 2020

On 11/15/20 1:07 PM, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:
> On 11/15/20 12:56 PM, António Pestana wrote:
>> Bom dia Jorge.
>>
>> I don't know what the "layer tree" is... I did change the name of the layer (in the layers panel) to ASCII characters only but had no luck. In order to solve this problem I had to change the name of the four files of the shapefile accordingly.
>
> 'The layer tree' is the 'Legend' or the 'Layers panel' (often to the left of the map).
> When you load a shapefile the 'name' of the layer you get is... the name of the shapefile. The issue looks like when you create a pdf it cannot hold characters with diacritical's (?) in layernames apparently?
> What you did (renaming the shape) is more or less the same :-) You removed the diacriticals from the layernames...
>
> Please create an issue if you can, preferebly with a small example dataset. Let us know if this is a problem, then we can do it.

I tried to load the data in the zip you added to your openings post, but I cannot even unzip it, because it (linux) says there is an encoding issue with the (problem) shapefile...

So maybe it is more a 'data'-encoding problem then a QGIS issue?
I tested by creating a new shapefile named "Todas as Parcelas Áreas" and that one works fine.
So it's not the filename, but probably the faulty encoding (of the attributes in the dbf)?

I think (others please correct me if I am wrong) that IF you create a new shapefile it is best to create it as utf-8 or utf-16?

Regards,

Richard