[Qgis-user] Problem exporting to pdf

Andrea Giudiceandrea andreaerdna at libero.it
Sun Nov 15 11:40:22 PST 2020

António Pestana wrote
> I did change the name of the layer (in the layers panel) to ASCII
> characters only but had no luck. In order to solve this problem I had to
> change the name of the four files of the shapefile accordingly.

Hi António, I can confirm also on Windows 7 (italian localization): the
issue is triggered by the name of the shapefile(s), not by the layer name.

Richard Duivenvoorde wrote
> I tried to load the data in the zip you added to your openings post, but I
> cannot even unzip it, because it (linux) says there is an encoding issue
> with the (problem) shapefile...

Hi Richard,
this is a common issue on Linux trying to unpack zip archives created on
Windows. [1]

Richard Duivenvoorde wrote
> I tested by creating a new shapefile named "Todas as Parcelas Áreas" and
> that one works fine.
> So it's not the filename, but probably the faulty encoding (of the
> attributes in the dbf)?

Maybe the reported issue is Windows specific.

It also happens with an empty attribute table. Moreover, if you copy the
working provided shapefile adding a non ASCII char to the copied shapefile
files name, the copied shapefile will not work when exporting the layout to
GeoPDF  including vector feature information.
If you remove the non ASCII char from the not working shapefile file names,
then the issue will not happen.
So it should not be related to the dbf encoding.

Regards.

Andrea

[1] See for instance
https://superuser.com/questions/1321371/proper-encoding-for-file-names-in-zip-archives-created-in-windows-and-unpacked-i