[Qgis-user] Vote for Lat Lon Tools Default Coordinate Order - YX or XY

Brent Wood pcreso at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 20 19:25:33 PST 2020

1. "lat/lon"  is the world wide order for degree based maps (esp in the navigation space)
2. "Lat Lon is the name of the tool,

It doesn't make any sense (to me) to have lon/lat as the default order for this tool. I know some other GIS tools use lon lat to be consistent with northings & eastings which are XY, but with this tool being all about lat/lon, I figure that is how it should be.

One option - if you are really concerned about this. Prompt on first use to set the user's preferred default? Make it impossible for the user to use the plugin without having first chosen what they want the order to be. So it doesn't have a default, just a user selected order.
Cheers

My 02c

> It was suggested to me that the default coordinate order in the Lat
> Lon Tools plugin for coordinate capture and zoom-to tools should be
> "longitude, latitude" or "X, Y". Originally, Lat Lon Tools was
> designed to work with on-line maps which are generally "latitude,
> longitude" order.
>
> You can always go into the plugin settings and specify which order
> you want and that order will be preserved everytime you launch QGIS.
> The default order is only applicable the first time you install "Lat
> Lon Tools" or if you do a reset to defaults in the Lat Lon Tools
> settings menu,
>
> Who prefers Lat Lon Tools to default to "longitude, latitude" or "X,
> Y" when the plugin is first installed or reset to default values?
>
> Who prefers Lat Lon Tools to default to "latitude, longitude (Google
> map order)" or "Y, X" when the plugin is first installed or reset to
> default values?
>
> I'm just checking to see if I should make this change or not.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Calvin

  Roxo

--