[Qgis-user] Installing QGIS 3.14 or 3.16 on Windows: it only runs as administrator

Bo Victor Thomsen bo.victor.thomsen at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 03:27:10 PDT 2020

Hi Jorge -

If it's an so-called "enterprise" setup of the new Windows PC, the IT
department might have mucked around with all sorts of security and
userdata setups. QGIS needs to have read/write access to the %userdata%
path to read and write parameter settings, installing and loading
plugins and so on.

You can try:

  * To start QGIS with the--noplugins qualifier. This will stop QGIS
    from loading plugins on startup.

  * To start QGIS with the --profiles-path <some_new_path>
    The--profiles-path qualifier gets QGIS to use another directory for
    profiles storage than the default
    <some_new_path> must point to  an existing directory path where
    you're certain you have read/write access to.

If it actually works with the second suggestion, your IT department
probably has made  the userdata directory inaccessible for QGIS.

Den 29-10-2020 kl. 18:16 skrev Jorge Gustavo Rocha:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install QGIS using OSGeo4W on a new Windows 10 computer.
> I've tried several options. I started with the "express desktop install".
>
> The installation runs smoothly.
>
> After installation, the splash screen appear and goes until the
> message: QGIS is ready! But then, nothing happens. If I run QGIS with
> Administrator privileges, it works.
>
> I've also tried to install with "custom install", just for the current
> user. But using this option, I get install errors (complaining about a
> missing gdal301.dll).
>
> What can I do (change some permissions?) to have QGIS running with
> administrator privileges?
>
> Disclaimer: I'm not a Windows expert. I probably missed something
> obviously. I've disabled the antivirus software, just in case.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jorge
>
> --
> Email Signature
> Logo <https://www.geomaster.pt>
> *Geomaster*
> *Jorge Gustavo Rocha* | Software Engineer
> *e:*jgr at geomaster.pt | *m:*+351 910 333 888
> *g:*41.54094,-8.40490 | *v: *510 906 109
> *a: * Rua António Cândido Pinto, 67, 4715-400 Braga

Med venlig hilsen / Kind regards

Bo Victor Thomsen