[Qgis-user] GPX group, add field "name" from track layer to attribut table point layer

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Sun Apr 25 07:32:33 PDT 2021

APM <apschwimmer at apmland.de> writes:

> if I import a gpx file via "Data source manager", I get a group with
> two layers:
>
> 1. "track_points" as PointZ layer
>
> 2. "tracks" as MultiLineStringZ
>
> The "tracks" layer contains a field "name" in the attribute table.
>
> This field is not in the "track_points layer".

I have also been loading GPX of tracks, but in my case they are actual
tracklogs rather than trail geometries.  I'm not sure which you have.

Generally, I have loaded tracks and not loaded trackpoints.   This has
seemed like a good choice except for brief tracks at fixed locations (as
a form of position averaging to get a more reliable/accurate position
for a point).   But for tracks that represent trails, I find that the
trackpoints just cause clutter and I don't find them useful.  They are
implicitly present as vertices of the multilinestring.

I wonder if you are rendering track points, and if so why (you probably
understand something I don't; that's not meant to be "don't do that").

As for labeling, it seems pretty normal to have name labels on
multilinestrings, as that's basically how roads are, and it seems
labeling attempts to avoid overlap anyway.

I wonder if your svg object is somehow bigger than its bounding box, so
qgis thinks it doesn't overlap but yet it does?

Greg