[Qgis-user] What is postgresql client version and does it have anything to do with different postgresql versions

Groene Bij mail at groenebij.nl
Tue Feb 2 12:21:13 PST 2021

Hi list,

PostgreSQL has this interesting versioning where they try to keep like 5
main branches up to date.

At this point you can choose any version from 9.6.x up to 13.x

Also, PostGIS is now slowly but probably steadily moving from 2.5.x to 3.1.x

So, setting up a new PostgreSQL database environment  makes me wonder which
one to choose.

Since I will only be using this database with QGIS and QGIS 3.16 becoming
the new LTR, does QGIS favor one of the PostgreSQL and PostGIS version above
another?

I did notice in the info screen for qgis3.16.3 it says PostgreSQL Client
version 11.5

Does that mean QGIS3.16 might work best with PostgreSQL 11.x? Or are they
completely unrelated?

Kind regards,

Jeroen Hovens