[Qgis-user] [QGIS-Developer] timzonefinder vs point in polygon

mail at groenebij.nl mail at groenebij.nl
Wed Feb 10 00:43:41 PST 2021

Seems there are at least two questions to have a look at.

To do a timezone lookup you need a relatively large datafile for the timezones. That could be part of a plugin/tool, or a separate file. Either way, you need to have that data stored and accessible somewhere. And it probably needs updating now and then.
Imho plugins should only provide the algorithm and some sort of ui. And maybe, when the plugin is always using the same dataset within it's algorithm, that dataset. Unless it is too large, and that was as I remember the first question you asked the user list Calvin. And that is still pending.
I have no problems downloading and storing a dataset, configure the plugin so it knows where I stored the dataset and have the plugin use that dataset whenever I would need t do a timezonze lookup.

The second question is finding and using the fastest algorithm.
If the Vector=>Datamanagement Tools->Join Attributes by Location is the fastest (is it indeed? cross platform, independent of hardware), is there a way to use that processing tool, which is part of the core tool set , within your datetimetools plugin?
I have no experience with building a plugin, but I would hope integrating (or calling on?) tools from the processing toolbox within a plugin should be supported. Seems weird you would have to rewrite an existing tool for it to be used by a plugin.

Jeroen