[Qgis-user] Select by Expression: exclusive (not inclusive)

Andrew Hughes ahhughes at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 00:23:55 PDT 2021

Hi All,

I can't for the life of me figure out why I can't "Select all features that
are *NOT* an alley, drive-through, driveway.... "

I am trying to use "Select by Expression".

The attribute I am trying to filter with is called "tag_service" and has 77
distinct values, including NULL.

*Q: Why does this expression select nothing?*

*"tag_service" NOT IN ('alley', 'drive-through', 'driveway', 'laneway',
'parking_aisle', 'parking')*

Supplementary, the following does select records (but I want the above
expression to work):

*"tag_service" IS NULL or "tag_service" = "service"*

Help would be much appreciated,

Thank you
Andrew