[Qgis-user] importing dwg/dxf

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Sun Nov 21 10:52:47 PST 2021

On 21.11.21 15:35, Nicolas Cadieux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> .dwg or dxf have no CRS.  They can be in inches, feet, mm, cm, m...
> Usually meter in a local CRS like a local WGS84 UTM ZONE is used.  You
> can usually find this in the metadata if available.
>
> Nicolas

I have no deep technical insight into dwg or dxf, but I am pretty sure
that those  CAD-"products" are able to be produced with valid
coordinates, fitting to a common CRS. Most people using CAD-systems
simply seem to be either too stupid for that, or just do not care.

One of the reasons, CAD-"data" is produced with a local reference system
instead with a normal CRS is, according to an CAD-operator I once asked
about this, that some CAD-systems just slow down to in-operability when
using real-world coordinates because of the huge numbers, compared to
the small coordinates in their own system.

So, I would not even try to fix this, but instead ask those guys to stop
scratching their balls and better send you proper real-world data and
tell you which CRS they are in . The handling of this "data" is
punishment enough afterwords.

Hope my dislike for this "technology" was not too obvious ;)

Cheers,

Bernd