[Qgis-user] RAM and processing speed requirements for QGIS

Patrick Dunford enzedrailmaps at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 05:00:49 PDT 2022

As others have written it will depend on the tasks you are doing.

The performance of any computer can be significantly improved by
replacing HDDs with SSDs. Modern computers using the NVMe standards for
SSD (M.2 interface etc) can offer a great deal of speed improvement for
SSD storage over SATA which is very significant when working on
intensive projects that use a lot of resources.

The PC platform is significantly easier to expand if resource needs
change. My seven year old system started out with 8 GB of RAM and
currently has 32 GB, whilst the swap file performance (virtual memory)
has been significantly improved with SATA and M.2 SSD storage (now at
200 GB). The latter provides almost limitless performance capability
enhancements to the system at modest cost without having to upgrade the
entire system. I use Ubuntu as the operating system for this computer.