[Qgis-user] add strava heatmap to QGIS

Hugh Kelley hghklly at gmail.com
Thu May 12 05:24:29 PDT 2022

worked like a charm! Thanks so much for spending time on this!

Hope you're having a good week

hugh

* In case anyone else is following, i think i missed a url parameter I was
including because of how long it was. The url that I ended up using was

https://heatmap-external-a.strava.com/tiles-auth/all/hot/{z}/{x}/{y}.png?Key-Pair-Id=LONG_STRING&Signature=LONGER_STRING

On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 3:12 PM Ujaval Gandhi <ujaval at spatialthoughts.com>
wrote:

> Hi Hugh,
>
> I made it work successfully in QGIS. The URL needs slight tweaking as
> follows
>

> https://heatmap-external-a.strava.com/tiles-auth/all/hot/{z}/{x}/{y}.png?Key-Pair-Id=LONG_STRING
>
> Pro Tip: Use View -> Panels -> Debugging /Development Tools to see the
> network request that QGIS is sending out. It helped figure out the correct
> url.
>

> On Fri, May 6, 2022 at 9:22 PM Hugh Kelley via Qgis-user <
> qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm hoping to add the strava global heatmap as a tile layer in QGIS.
>>
>> I've done this successfully in the OSM JOSM and ID Editors without a
>> problem. this set of instructions/browser plugin is super helpful.
>> https://github.com/zekefarwell/josm-strava-heatmap
>>
>> without sharing my credentials, the url is just:
>>
>> https://heatmap-external-{switch:a,b,c}.
>> strava.com/tiles-auth/all/hot/{zoom}/{x}/{y}.png?Key-Pair-Id=ID_STRING&Policy=VERY_LONG_STRING
>> <http://strava.com/tiles-auth/all/hot/%7Bzoom%7D/%7Bx%7D/%7By%7D.png?Key-Pair-Id=ID_STRING&Policy=VERY_LONG_STRING>
>>

>> It seems that I should be able to plug the same url into the QGIS  as an
>> xyz layer, but when I do it doesn't work. There's no error or warning, just
>> a blank map window. I tried including my strava login in the credentials
>> section but this didn't do anything and isn't necessary in the JOSM or ID
>> editors.
>>
>> Just wondering if anyone can think of any further fixes to try or has
>> successfully done this themselves. The heatmap api has changed a bit in the
>> past couple years so what worked in the past may not work correctly today.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Hugh

Hugh Kelley