[Qgis-user] adding a layer from a zipped file

Stephen Sacks ssacks456 at gmail.com
Sat May 28 12:29:05 PDT 2022

When I write a layer as a shape file, it appears on my C: drive as six
files, all with the same name but different extensions.  Then I zip
those six into a single file (xxx.zip).  When I reload that layer from
the zip file (Layer > AddLayer > VectorLayer > File > Dataset >
xxx.zip), QGIS is almost smart enough to restore the layer correctly.
The polygon features are in the right place and their attribute table is
correct. *My problem* is that it ignores one of the six files, the
"style" file (xxx .qml) which  specifies color, labeling, and symbol).
Do I  have to unzip before restoring layer xxx ?  I know I could open
the layer's properties and use  Style > Load Style from  file xxx.qml .
But when I'm restoring several layers that's a lot of key strokes (and
may require that I unzip).  It seems to me that this shouldn't be
necessary.  [I encounter the same problem with point layers and polygon
layers.]