[Qgis-user] QGis on a Mac

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Thu Aug 29 22:45:51 PDT 2024

 From you message it is not clear to me what you want/need.

so you have a folder with 150000 png tiles (in what structure)?
Downloaded as OS Opendata? Or created yourself within QGIS?
And you want to SERVE those as an local XYZ service, so QGIS can read them?

The folder is a sort of 'data cache' for a Map or Webserver.
I think that depends on the structure of that folder, if an Webserver (or some small python script) is enough.
But for bigger dataset the amount of files in a directory was to big for the Operating System.
So different tiling standards evolved, putting the images on disk in different structures...

For small dataset you could maybe just create the x/y/z structure on disk.
Or that you need to run some server like MapProxy (of newer kids on the block) running on your machine.

But, I think, you will always need some kind of server-process running.

Only if your data is in a true x,y,z structure and QGIS could handle a file:/home/foo/data/{z}/{x}/{y}.pbf url that would work.
mmm, this says it is possible (mind the max and min Z):
https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/397040/loading-tiles-from-local-tms-using-xyz-tiles-in-qgis

Maybe best if you play around a little first with the 'Generate XYZ tiles'-processing script for a small dataset, and see if that looks like your dir?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde