migrating geodata committee site, lists

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Wed Dec 13 13:33:14 EST 2006

dear all,

I would like to be able to migrate the geodata committee's mailing
lists, their archives and the website off of CN and onto the new
infrastructure as soon as possible. The list archives have spam in
them, the website is so dreary and there's a lot of new things to put
in it. I would be happy to act as a guinea pig for the migration
process and to put in some work doing administrivia, whatever.

I have some questions about how all this is going to work out:

* Can we get a dump of the current list archives from CollabNet in
  mbox format and import into whatever is replacing it (I assume
  mailman?)
* Is there some arrangement with CollabNet staff to do this and to
  shift the DNS over promptly when asked? Though i suppose we can use
  an alternative domain - Gary also has osgeo.net registered - and
  wait to move the whole zone over, not bother CN with piecemeal requests

Re the mailing list server setup I had imagined it would be more
straightforward to have all the mailing lists under one lists.osgeo.org
domain, the redundancy of the current foo at foo.osgeo.org scheme grates
on me a bit - maybe others disagree - it's a much more complex setup for
mailman to run multiple domains, isn't it?

* I would like to keep the geodata committee presence at geodata.osgeo.org
  as it has been ... will that hold a drupal instance
  and is there some way of providing a generic set of templates /
  views that many different instances of committee / project sites
  can re-use? Or is there something like this already in the plan?

An update would be really appreciated.

cheers,

jo