[SAC] Who wants BuildBot?

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Mon Oct 2 03:37:21 EDT 2006

Jo Walsh wrote:
> dear Mateusz,
> On Sun, Oct 01, 2006 at 08:59:14PM +0200, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/BuildBot_Configuration
>> I'm looking forward your comments or questions.
>
> This looks good to me, the docs are comprehensive and clear.

Good.

> Your and Howard's work on common build and test would be a good driver
> towards synchronising releases, producing images etc...

I hope so.

> I would say definitely go ahead and canvass interest on the incubator
> list.

OK, I'll try.

> Recall that a/ the java people like to do everything in their
> own, warped, similar yet different manner, and they have something
> called 'cruise control' also 'continuum' which work with something
> svn-like called 'maven'.

I'm not a Java programmer and I've not used these tools
BuildBot can build/test projects written in different programming
languages.

> "Let them sit in their java hole" you may be tempted to think, but it
> would be good in the future to accomodate this.

Yes, I agree but I don't think I have anything to say here.
Personally, I will provide technical support, install and maintain
BuildBot instance for anyone who needs it but I'm far from
leading any organizational aspects.

> Also b/ the web mapping clients and any other UI clients are harder to
> automatedly test, I wonder if we can provide extra/common UI test automation.

Yes, that would be good too. So, I'll ask our web mapping gurus later.

> Moon on a stick, eh?

that may be tricky ;)

Cheers
--