[SAC] Subversion is 403 right now

Howard Butler hobu at hobu.net
Sun Jan 21 17:13:56 EST 2007

On Jan 21, 2007, at 2:43 PM, Jason Birch wrote:

> I think that it should be re-enabled, at least long enough to
> switch the sites over to SSL.
>
> However, I think a better solution would be to make svn.osgeo.org
> its own virtual server, rather than relying on an alias within
> www.osgeo.org.  This would have the desired results without
> requiring any client-side changes.
>
> If we have multiple sites that answer for the content at
> www.osgeo.org, there's a strong possibility of being penalised by
> the search engines.  A large part of OSGeo's role is marketing, and
> search engine ranking is important.

Understood.  Another big part of OSGeo is actually writing the
software ;)

> Does SVN require an account on the server?  If so, isn't it more
> secure to require SSL?

SVN requires an LDAP account to be able to commit to the repository.
Ideally, we allow anonymous (http) checkout and read access and
authenticated (https) commit access.  If you are a committer, you
should be working with an https repository.  I think that CN just
always used https to eliminate the ambiguity.  It isn't a problem to
switch between http and https if you are committer and can actually
read both repositories though.

+1 on a true virtual server for svn.osgeo.org

This would allow us to additionally drop the redundant /svn path on
everything...
http://svn.osgeo.org/svn/gdal could just turn into http://
svn.osgeo.org/gdal

I don't know where we're at with Trac, but was the intention to use
virtual servers there too?  Shawn?

Howard