[SAC] Infrastructure for GEOS

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Oct 5 19:10:52 EDT 2007

Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Following on from the "Supporting new projects" thread, I'm interested
> to know how SAC feel about providing infrastructure to new projects.
>
> Do we have resources to set up and then maintain svn, mailing lists, etc
> for all projects wanting to join OSGeo Labs?

Cameron,

Our current mechanisms for setting up Trac, and Subversion repositories
is somewhat labour intensive, so it isn't really that easy to roll out
services for many projects.  Our current approach is that SAC provides
it's standard services to OSGeo projects, and to projects for which there
are volunteers (with appropriate access) willing to setup and maintain
the services.

 > If not, what is the criteria we use to say one project is given
 > resources and another is not?

So, for instance, GDAL as an OSGeo gets service.  MOSS4G had to ask nicely,
and because there were core SAC members willing to do the work it got service
(and because it met other general criteria - open source, and geospatial).

Howard and I are willing to step forward to do stuff for GEOS because
we have a particular interest in the project.  But we aren't necessarily
willing to do so for many other projects.

I would add that I look favourable on GEOS because I know it aims to
go through incubation, and because I think it is likely to make it into
incubation.

Does that make sense?