[SAC] Mailing lists backlog

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Mon Sep 10 09:49:59 PDT 2012

Hi Frank, Alex,

On 12-09-10 12:33 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 9:12 AM, Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:
>>
>> I don't recall there being a problem with any of the requests, just
>> limited volunteer time to implement. Last I checked one or two people
>> handle all the list requests, adding a 3rd such person would be good.
>> Are you or Jorge interested? A single dedicated person is prone to
>> slower response times due to days off/vacation/work load and the ticket
>> system keeps us from duplicating work.
>
> Daniel,
>
> Alan and I normally deal with these.  When one slips through
> cracks email-wise it is unlikely to be revisited unless someone
> points it out which is what appears to have happened to these.

I noticed that this seemed to be the case. Unfortunately this can be
frustrating to outsiders who do not understand why their request is
getting no response, which in the end defeats other outreach efforts
made by OSGeo.

> I'll take care of them.
>
> In general it would be nice if someone kept an eye on the SAC
> bug queue and followed up on items that get neglected.

Perhaps if one of the volunteers was formally in charge of mailing list
requests, that person could periodically review the ticket queue looking
for unaddressed ones and either deny, dispatch or address them. Other
SAC admins would still be encouraged to grab requests as they come in,
but if nobody does then we'd know that someone would grab the ball on
their next periodical review.

Since Frank's time is already in prime demand with his new role as
President of the board, I'd be tempted to suggest Alan as the person to
periodically review pending mailing list requests, if he agrees.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/