[SAC] mail.osgeo.org running out of disk space

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sat Sep 14 02:13:59 PDT 2013

(cc japan.osgeo at gmail.com to notify their mailman administrator)

On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 2:09 AM, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I have scrubbed some older mailman logs to make a bit of space so we have a
> few days to cope with this situation.
>
> I'm inclined to just allocate more space.  The lists server and it's archive
> is a valuable service, and it is not immediately clear that it is out of
> hand though it is accumulating pretty fast.

Here the Top 20 usages of the OSGeo mailman lists (in MB):

303    postgis-devel
316    mapbender_commits.mbox
317    grass-user.mbox
324    portugal
372    mapserver-users.mbox
410    qgis-user
418    mapguide-commits
434    qgis-developer
487    openlayers-users
579    gdal-dev
736    mapguide-users
762    mapbender_commits
765    postgis-users.mbox
789    grass-dev
850    fdo-commits
883    grass-user
1259    mapserver-users
1860    postgis-users
1968    grass-commit
28885    osgeojapan-board

There are actually huge attachments therein:
29G    /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/osgeojapan-board/attachments

The attachment of the "osgeojapan-board" list is unlimited at time:

config_list --outputfile - osgeojapan-board | grep size
max_message_size = 0

Suggestion: restrict the attachment size to 200k in the
"osgeojapan-board" list to avoid that the mail.osgeo.org server disk
collapses.

Markus