[SAC] [OSGeo] #1793: Reqiest for FOSS4G-announce list

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Fri Sep 16 09:11:40 PDT 2016

Hi Guido,

I have unsubscribed from foss4g2017.  I am sorry to misunderstand the
FOSS4G and OSGeo spirit.  Now you can use your private google group for
private LOC issues, and (since no one used the public list before my
activity) you can now use that public 2017 list for, your press
releases, and any other things that you might need occasionally.

I guess you do not realize that I hurt my career for the 2017 decision,
and I have fought so hard to move FOSS4G all around the word, to little
unknown groups and to give them the spotlight, against so many other's
advice, right back to the start of FOSS4G.  Often, as did for 2017,
those same people in the spotlight eventually turn against me, as they
take the spotlight and make it their own.  It is just a common fact,
and, sadly it has been a part of what I try so hard to promote, the
community.

I think it is really a sign of how mature the community is now, that
there are so many strong voices, and, less is needed for guidance.  I'll
take that as a sign that we are mature.

Well, I will continue on with helping grassroots projects, and FOSS4G
regional events all over the world, and help both OSGeo and FOSS4G grow,
in any little way that I can.

I wish you all the best.  And I am sorry that my open messages and help
hurt your team so much.  You can have a quiet 2017 list again, and use
that for your press releases.   Please contact your private team
members, whoever they may be, and apologize for me to them.  I am sure
your event will be wonderful.  I bet to this day, I am one of the only
few to know your proposal so well, and was even using it this week in
messages to your team - well, my messages to the air on the 2017 list,
that your team never responded to.

One thing I know, my so-called failures in this community are by far my
most proudest moments.  And I am proud that for 12 years straight,
against so many hurdles and walls, I did all that I could, to spread the
passion and sharing and learning and fun, of what we now know as FOSS4G,
to every corner of this big world.  I tried to show that we are all one
family, no matter where you come from, what job you have, what you wear,
how much money you make, what gender you are, what software project you
use, whatever.

But politics are now so deeply involved, that, there is no more fun at
the higher levels.   The fun is deep now, back where we all started, in
the projects and smaller events and code sprints.  And that is ok with
me, it is why I got involved in this and helped create FOSS4G with Venka
and Markus: fun.

Right now I will switch to helping with the next MapServer release.  And
after that try to help with the istProject and its incubation.  Give
some love to the MS4W community, and oh find some ways to pay the bills
ha.  There, that is my immediate future in a nutshell :)

Have a nice weekend,

-jeff