[SAC] [OSGeo] #1940: osgeo4 raid needs a replacement

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Jun 13 22:08:25 PDT 2017

On 06/13/2017 08:54 AM, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 10:05:16PM -0700, Alex Mandel wrote:
>>> #1940: osgeo4 raid needs a replacement
>>
>> As I stated when it was first noticed, a while back. My preferred
>> solution is to migrate the final 2 VMs off OSGeo 4 and retire the machine.
>>
>> OSGeo6 is completely capable of handling the load, the fastest method
>> would be to do KVM managed by libvrt (or similar). A better solution
>> would probably be to rebuild the few remaining services in containers.
>
> I've the impression that given the lack of a new sysadmin contract
> the fastest thing here would be to buy a new disk. It can always be
> moved to one of the existing machines later (we have space issues
> in the download machine if I'm not mistaken?)

OSGeo3 which contains Downloads has a space issue, but that's actually
just a disk allocation issue, it has more space. But nothing new should
go on that machine it's just as old.

FYI, adding a replacement disk the last time caused significant downtime
to rebuild the raid (days). If I can get sudo access to the host (need
Martin's help) I know how to migrate a ganeti lvm volume to a new host.
I'll see if I can write up the process in the next week. It's not
actually that many commands. I expect the downtime to be the same or
less than rebuilding the raid.

The 2 VMs still on osgeo4 I believe are adhoc and qgis. qgis contains
their bug tracker which if I recall the qgis PSC has been debating the
future of. Adhoc could probably stand a fresh rebuild since it was
always a crazy pile of various demo servers to start with.

> Or, how about setting up a new sysadmin contract to do the final VM
> migration (and maybe other things, if there's enough budget) ?

We could consider that.

> BTW: last time I checked I could not find a wiki page with
> informations about setting up VMs, is there one ?

Probably not since OSUOSL set them up, at least from the host side
originally. I only know how it works because I've used ganeti myself.