[SeasonOfDocs] [Season of Docs] Technical writer applications and proposals for Open Source Geospatial Foundation

Andrew Chen chenopis at google.com
Thu Jul 4 22:00:00 PDT 2019

Hello open source administrators and mentors,

Thank you again for your patience. We received over 440 technical writer
applications, so there is quite a lot of enthusiasm from the technical
writing community. Every single organization received multiple technical
writer project proposals!

We have been busy processing and reviewing the applications to make sure
they follow our guidelines and rules. Consequently, there were a few that
we had to remove. There are also some that don't violate any of our
guidelines or rules, but they contain irrelevant content or perhaps the
applicant may have misunderstood the purpose of Season of Docs. We have
decided not to censor those and are leaving it up to you to dismiss or
reroute them as appropriate for your organization.

Attached is a link to a Google Sheets export of the technical writer
applications to your specific organization. We decided that a spreadsheet
would be the easiest format for you to manipulate and consume the form
data; however, if you would like us to generate a separate email message
per project proposal, please contact us on the support list,
season-of-docs-support at googlegroups.com.

 Season of Docs - Open Source Geospatial Foundat...
<https://docs.google.com/a/google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vdWFRLhS875tVcWE5AzNFVZ1vsQCsfnzhRlCkuAJrHk/edit?usp=drive_web>

When assessing a project proposal, org admins and mentors should assess the
proposal based on the content of the fields in the form, without examining
any linked docs. (It's fine to follow links for tech writing experience or
resumes.) The reasons are (a) we must avoid any potential for people to add
to their proposal after the deadline date has passed, and (b) we just
ensure all applicants are on equal footing. The tech writer guidelines
state clearly that the proposal description should be in the form itself:
https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/tech-writer-application-hints#project_proposal

Later, we will send out a form for you to enter in your organization's
technical writer/project proposal choice and alternates in order of
preference.

If you have any questions, contact us at
season-of-docs-support at googlegroups.com.

Cheers,

--Andrew Chen and Sarah Maddox

Andrew Chen |  Program Manager, Open Source Strategy |  chenopis at google.com