[SeasonOfDocs] Geonetwork meeting notes

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 16:07:59 PDT 2019

I'm really impressed with the quality of review being applied to the
GeoNetwork Quickstart.
I realise that timing is bad here, but if the quickstart source RST used
for OSGeoLive is updated within the next week or so, then it will be
included on the next OSGeoLive release.
Deadline for docs to be complete is 23 June 2019 [1].
It would be great to see your work showcased in the next OSGeoLive release.
Do you have the bandwidth to achieve this?

I'd suggest first writing new text into the google doc version of the
Quickstart [2].
Then update the quickstart RST source [3].

[1]
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kO6zzmLFfprZGgp5x7Sjwi-EVN6NTGDR4KXvFVtNpR0/edit?hl=en_GB&hl=en_GB#gid=0
[2]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/117WkUYJUaOcCjxglcfKFkSKq6axyRKuO8iL9gLnvwYU/edit#
[3]
https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive-doc/blob/master/doc/quickstart/geonetwork_quickstart.rst

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 at 20:18, Jo Cook <jo.k.cook at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Yesterday we had the second fortnightly meeting about the geonetwork
> component of Season of Docs, so I thought I'd give a quick summary.
>
> Since our first meeting, we've created a google doc of the Geonetwork
> quick start guide, and many people have provided constructive feedback on
> it. I'd like to give chance for a few more people to comment, then start to
> work in the improvements, and then hopefully get one of our wonderful
> technical writers to review.
>
> Byron Cochrane has created a spreadsheet of the current documentation down
> to sub-chapter level, with a quick overview of the current state of each
> sub-chapter, and this is going to act as our springboard for assigning
> sections of the documentation to volunteer reviewers to work through. We'll
> probably use the google docs approach for this as well, since it works well
> for collaboration.
>
> I still have an outstanding action from our first call to review the 3.6
> release notes and check that all new features have at least some
> documentation- hopefully I'll have chance to do this before our next call
> and feed the results into Byron's spreadsheet.
>
> Although Geonetwork 3.8 will soon be ready for release, we've decided to
> focus our documentation efforts on Geonetwork 3.6 as this will be the
> stable version for some time and it's the version that new users are more
> likely to pick.
>
> The links to the google doc Quick Start guide and the spreadsheet can be
> found here:
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Season_of_Docs_Ideas_2019#GeoNetwork
>
> If you'd like to join any of our fortnightly calls, then the link below
> shows you what time they are in all timezones- the next will be on Thursday
> 25th July. Please email me for an invite to the hangout.
>

> https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Geonetwork+Meeting&iso=20190711T10&p1=136
>
> Thanks and all the best
>
> Jo
>
> --